1965 CDR Ira D. Easley, U. S. Navy retired
Commander Ira David Easley, United States Navy, retired, was born on 3 February 1908 in South Carolina.? David was the son of Lizzie and David H. Easley, both of South Carolina.
Commander Easley enlisted in the United States Navy on 14 November 1924 and retired on 28 February 1955. Some of his assignments and locations during his service include:
- 1929: Assigned to Seattle, Washington area.
- 1932 – 1938: Assigned to Los Angeles County, California area. While stationed here in November 1932, Commander Easley married Murielle M. Carson.
- 1941: New London, Connecticut.
- June 1944: Captain of the USS Landing Ship Tank (LST-388) during the Normandy Beach invasion, and was in the first wave to hit the beach. He was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions during the first wave and 50 additional supply landings.
- Aug 1947 10 Feb 1951. Captain of the USS Snohomish County (LST-1126).
- July 1953. Captain of the USS Gordius (ARL-36), an Achelous Class Landing Craft Repair Ship.
Commander Easley awards and decorations include:
- Bronze Star
- American Campaign Medal
- Europe Campaign Medal
- World War II Victory Medal
Commander Easley was our 11th Chapter President, serving in 1965. David passed away on 2 May 1975 in Riverside, California. He was predeceased by his wife, Murielle, who died on 30 Nov 1974 in Riverside. David had remarried on 23 April 1975, was survived by his wife, Laura Kathryn Harris Richmond Easley. Laura passed away on 22 Aug 1990 and is interned in Site 2087, Section 28, Riverside National Cemetery. It is unknown where Commander Easley is buried.
Leave A Comment